Tuesday 2 October 2018

Gates of Antares - Ghar: Assault Suit


I started by undercoating the Assault suit with a matt black primer 


Next I used a flat headed small drybrush to apply GW Ceramite White, in a drybrush style (as in I removed as much of the paint as I could on a piece of paper) I brushed over the armoured areas trying to leave the gaps in the armour free from paint. Ceramite White is classified as a base paint so it needs to be used lightly to give a good coating.








I then followed the same process using Bonewhite (72.034), but this time applying several light coats to get a consistent covering; as free from streaks as possible. Using the Bonewhite stops the black showing through, helps the next stage provide a consistent coating and applying it on top of the Ceramite White helps ensure that further.



Next I used Dead white (72.001), again in the same fashion as the Bonewhite, this creates a solid white covering.
The next stage may seem a little odd, but bear with me: In this stage I drybrush Ceramite white over certain edges to bring them out. The reason for this is that Ceramite white has a brighter white pigment than Deadwhite so, I feel, you can see the difference.




As you can see the white process leaves the model looking somewhat messy, and as I want the other areas black (apart from the “power nodes”) I go over those areas with Black (72.051).
Next I applied GW Mephiston Red to all the power nodes and sensors, washed them with Army painter strong tone, then painted them with Blood red. The blood red was applied to the majority of the node/sensor but leaving the base in the dark washed red I started with and in several light coats an all over smooth red finish was achieved.



The black and white areas where tidied up where required, then as I can’t leave the black areas looking so flat, so I drybrushed them with Stonewall Grey (72.049).




Red wash was then applied to the gaps.




I then applied Matt Varnish all over; It was at this point that I discovered (to my horror) that the red wash hadn’t dried and was smearing over the model. So I stopped, waited 24 hours and tried again only to experience the same issue. This has meant applying white to cover up the smears, ruining the original white coat I had applied. In future I think I’ll use red paint. Was that situation was resolved I applied gloss varnish to the power nodes and sensors.
Next I glued sand to the base using PVA. Once dry I painted it Charred Brown (72.045), drybrushed with Plague Brown (72.039) and then drybrushed with Bonewhite (72.034),  after which Static grass was added.







No comments:

Post a Comment