Thursday 25 February 2016

Painting: Dropzone Commander - Shaltari Starter Set

As I mentioned last week I'm running an escalation event/league over the next few months and February is starter sets!

So with my Shaltari starter set built and with it required to be painted by the end of month I had to get a move on. Now as luck would have it my wife was struck down with Flu (Not so sure that was her view on it)  and was bed ridden, so while she rested I cracked on.

Unfortunately I can't take full credit for my chosen colour scheme; I knew I wanted a white scheme and after a google search I discovered this blog:
http://toomuchmetal.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/dropzone-commander-shaltari-done-and.html?m=1

So inspired by the above I began but with a few adjustments of my own.

As ever the paints used were Vallejo unless stated otherwise.


I started with a solid undercoat of white primer from Halfords


Next was a liberal coating of Army Painter Strong tone. This was quite a nerve racking phase, watching the white turn brown, wondering if I can bring it back to the desired white.


Once the Strong tone had dried I drybrushed Bonewhite (72.034) several times, doing my best to avoid losing any of the detail


Next I drybrushed Dead White (72.001) several times, trying to leave the fins as they were, and again trying not to obscure any detail.


The fins and teleport crystals were painted Electric Blue (72.023), and took a surprisingly long amount of time, which is due to not wanting to ruin the white.


In this stage I painted the gun barrels and teleport nodes with Chainmail Silver (72.053), then liberally coated with GW Nuln Oil. Once the Nuln Oil dried I lightly painted with Silver (72.052)

I then drybrushed the white areas, crystals and the blue fins with GW Ceramite White. This white is a really vibrant white and really makes the white areas stand out.

 

The canopies were painted with Black (72.051), to give them a nice sheen.


The base of the Braves were coated with sand, painted black, drybrushed with Charred Brown (72.045) then drybrushed with Bonewhite (72.034) and static grass was added.

The models were then cleaned up where needed. After which they were coated all over with Matt Varnish (70.520), followed by Gloss Varnish (70.510) which was applied to the black canopies, teleport crystals and the barrel of the tomahawks.

I feel that this "simple" paint scheme is really effective, and came out just as well as I hoped. Unlike my scourge the underneath of theses models aren't painted as well as the top. I just couldn't be bothered especially as, by all accounts, they won't really be seen. Don't get me wrong they have been painted just not to the same tidy degree,







Those of you that have been following my blog will know that I seem to like being slightly ambitious with my schemes; now this scheme is relatively simple, which is why I have something more ambitious planned...so watch this space.

2 comments:

  1. I'd recommend using some orange (complimentary colour of blue) on the dots to bring out the detail. The white is great though, you did a good job on layering! Personally I wouldn't have used Halfords paint as their course pigments cam block detail. Great job none the less!

    ReplyDelete