Saturday 19 March 2016

Painting: Dropzone Commander - Shaltari: Coyote

Sorry for the delay in this week's post, it's been an absolutely manic week! not helped that I have been stricken with man flu. But I have found a moments peace and respite from man flu (courtesy of Beechams (other medicines are available)) to be able to write this post.

So I open properly (aside from the apology) with exciting news: I am now officially a Hawk Talon! So if, dear reader, you are local to Berkshire then I can officially provide demos/assistance with events etc.

Anyway, enough of that and on with the painting. So as mentioned in my last post; March is the addition of a commander to starter set for the DZC escalation league I'm running. With my Coyote all built it needed to be painted ready to face my foes.

As ever the paints used were Vallejo unless stated otherwise.


I started with a solid undercoat of white primer from Halfords


Next I coated the model in Army Builder Strong tone. Despite painting an entire starter set this way it still makes me nervous for the outcome, stupid I know! As you'll also see one of the gauss cannons fell off during the application of the strong tone, this was quickly glued back on using super glue. In fact it stuck better this time than originally.


Now here I have to hold my hands up and say that I believe I may have skipped a phase from the scheme I used on my starter set; I don't remember using bonewhite, so I'm going have to assume that I didn't (especially as there isn't any photo to confirm) so it seems I went straight to drybrushing Dead White (72.001) several times.


Here I painted the command module fins, the area between the fins and leg pads Electric Blue (72.023)


This photo is the culmination of all the following stages:

I painted the gauss cannons, leg joints, bottom points of the legs and the small nodes around the top and bottom of the fan at the back of the model with Chainmail Silver (72.053), then carefully coated with GW Nuln Oil (except the gauss cannons those were liberally soaked). Once the Nuln Oil dried I lightly painted with Silver (72.052).

Then tidied up the white areas where blue and silver had accidentally come into contact with it, after which I drybrushed GW Ceramite White everywhere avoiding the areas painted silver.

Next I painted the canopies Black (72.051). Once dry I did a little tidying around the canopies and coated all over with Matt Varnish (70.520), followed by Gloss Varnish (70.510) which was only applied to the black canopies and gauss cannons.

I'm pleased with my commander, he looks the part and the command module is magnetised so it can represent the "eject" special rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment