Thursday 2 July 2015

Miniatures: All Quiet on the Martian Front - Martian Scorpion drones





Back in 2013 I invested in a kickstarter (KS) called "All Quiet on the Martian Front" by Alien Dungeon. For those of you unfamiliar with this game it's essentially a 15mm (although the models are more 20mm) War of the Worlds II.

Its circa 1910 and the Martians are back invading the earth  after learning from the first invasion but this time they have started in America and built up their forces before attacking.

So after receiving a fair sized force for both my Humans and Martians as part of the KS I decided it was time to expand and bought some Scorpion Drones.

So lets give it a review:
The packaging:

Just look at that monster of a blister!! As a comparison I've put it next to a Dropzone Commander (10mm scale) Blister (Left) and an Infinity (28mm scale) blister (Right) This must be costing Alien Dungeon a fortune in production costs. Now they probably have a good reason for it; other than standing out amongst a sea of other blisters I have no idea what it would be...

The models:
These drones consist of 6 parts;

  • 3 legs (keeping with the tripod design)
  • Scorpion tail
  • Waist
  • Drone body

The flash wasn't too bad; a few big bits on the waist, then little bits here and there.

The metal is very light weight, and can be moved very easy. As you'll be able to see in my photo of the built drones that I tried to move the tail of one of them into a different position but the tip snapped off, so be careful.

Overall nice and easy to clean up

Building the model:

Now the first of these little blighters was a pain to build! Trying to glue the legs to the waist was a nightmare, but it's clearly where the Martian drones get their first taste for human flesh as the enslaved human builder gets welded to the drone parts during its construction.

It took at least 10 minutes to build the first one; trying all sorts of tricks to speed up the drying of the superglue. So after replacing several layers of skin on my fingers with super glue, and resting from a dull ache of holding bits of the model in place some advice drifted across my brain like a windows 95 screensaver - use cold water with the glue.

With this thought in mind I started on the second model applying the glue in the cavity on the waist where the leg was going to go, I then dipped the leg in cold water and applied. BINGO! the glue dried in seconds! forming a firm hold. Within the next 10 minutes I had built the remaining two!.

There you have it - 3 drones ready to join my Martian forces!





1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I had exactly the same experience with the regular drone legs. I used the paper trick on the 2nd and 3rd ones, worked great.

    ReplyDelete