Tuesday 5 April 2016

Painting: Wasteman - Cybjorgs

A while back, prior to the DZC escalation league, I painted up my Wasteman Cybjorgs. Here is how I did it:

Paints mentioned are from the Vallejo Game Colour range unless other indicated.


First the models were given a good overall undercoat using Halfords Matt Black. Once dry the areas of skin were given several coats of Tan (72.066) to provide a consistent coat.


Next the skin areas on the models were drybrushed several times with Dwarf Skin (72.041)


Then the skin areas were lightly drybrushed with Elf Skintone (72.004)


Next the areas of skin were given a liberal coat of Army Painter Soft Tone. Now I don't usually use Soft Tone opting to use a darker wash more, but for these Cybjorgs I didn't want to lose too much of the skin tone I had already built up, but I did want to darken the folds in the skin, and I feel that soft tone worked well.


Once the soft tone dried I mixed Pale Flesh (72.003) and Elf Skintone (72.004), then drybrushed it all over the skin areas


This picture covers a lot of different stages:
The metal areas were painted with Chainmail Silver (72.053), then washed with GW Nuln oil before painting with Silver (72.052)
Tubing was painted with GW black, & Cold Grey (72.050) then washed with Army Painter strong tone
The wires were painted with Bloody Red (72.010), Electric Blue (72.023) & Sun Yellow (72.006)
The weapons were painted with yellow then Sun Yellow (72.006), then Moon Yellow (72.005)
Their tongues were painted with red and their sensors with Bloody Red (72.010)
Weapons were painted with GW black


The guys on the left and in the middle were painted similar to the guys above:
The metal areas were painted with Chainmail Silver (72.053), then washed with GW Nuln oil before painting with Silver (72.052)
Tubing was painted with GW black, & Cold Grey (72.050), then washed with Army Painter strong tone
The shoulder pads, "cups" and weapons were painted with GW black

The guys on the right was my first attempt at NMM, not the greatest but I was relatively happy with it and too lazy to strip to start again - more practice is needed for sure.
Starting with Cold Grey (72.050), then attempt at Stonewall Grey (72.049) before highlighting with Dead White (72.001)


In this final picture you can see that the areas around augmented parts have been painted red to reflect the scarring. This was a mix of Squid Pink (72.013) & Bloody Red (72.010). This was initially too bright and looked like fresh wounds which isn't what I intended so I drybrushed Elf Skintone (72.004) over it.

I then drybrushed the black areas with Stonewall Grey (72.049).

I added hazard lines to the "crushing claw" of  then dabbed Gory Red (72.011) over the "teeth".

Finally I varnished them with Matt Varnish (70.520)

No comments:

Post a Comment